Setup Taplist.io as a display on a Windows PC

So after setting up a FireTV Stick and RPI2B as a display, I decided to setup an old windows laptop with a busted keyboard as a display. I have a lot of old PC’s lying around and figured this might be a good option for out in the garage (away from the basement bar & main kegerator) or something similar in the future. This is a great way to run Taplist.io if you don’t have a FireTV Stick or RPI , but you have a slew of old PC’s sitting around. Here is how I did it.

1. I setup a fresh install of Windows 7 with the user set to autologin. If you don’t know how to do this please follow the instructions in this link.

2. Next you need to grab the latest version of 32-bit Chromium for windows from here. (Make sure you grab the 32-bit .zip!) And unzip it to C:\Program Files (x86). This way the path to chrome.exe reads C:\Program Files (x86)\chrome-win32\chrome.exe.

3. Next we need to create a batch file to start Chromium. Open notepad (Start -> Search Box -> “notepad.exe”) and place the following text inside.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\chrome-win32\chrome.exe" --noerrdialogs --disable-session-crashed-bubble --disable-infobars --kiosk https://www.taplist.io/display

Then go to File -> Save As, and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\chrome-win32, in the File name: box type “taplist.io.bat” and change the Save as type: to All Files.

Note: You may get some UAC or Administrative Permission prompts. Please accept these to continue saving this file where you want. It’s also a good idea to navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\chrome-win32 to ensure that taplist.io.bat is saved there.

1. Now we want to run the .bat file to test it. Using Windows Explorer navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\chrome-win32 and double-click taplist.io.bat. This should launch the Chromium browser and give you the pairing window for Taplist.io. Please follow the instructions to pair your display the first time.

2. You may notice that there are some popup windows that display, pressing the ESC key got rid of those for good on my end. There may also be a scrollbar on the side if you have a lot of taps displayed, press and hold the CTRL key and the + or - key to get the display zoomed in/out to where you want it. Once you have the zoom set it will stay that way. If you would like to now close Chromium you can do so with the key combination CTRL+Shift+Q.

3. If you would like to auto-start Chromium you can do so by placing a shortcut to this .bat file in the startup folder for your user. Simply Right-Click the taplist.io.bat file and select Create Shortcut from the menu. Then Right-Click on that shortcut and choose Cut from the menu. Now navigate to the following path using Windows Explorer C:\Users%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup. (The easiest way to do this is to open an explorer window and copy/paste the above path in to the title bar.) Then Right-Click on an empty space in that folder and select Paste.

4. That’s it! Restart the computer and Taplist.io should launch on startup! Again please note that this is not supported by Taplist.io. If you have any trouble following my instructions please let me know and I’ll attempt to clarify them and help you along with setting up your PC.

1 Like

Very cool! Putting old machines to work sounds like a perfect use for this — thanks for sharing!

No problem, I figured this might make Taplist.io more widely accessible for some folks. Hopefully it helps someone out!

Do you leave unit on all the time? Wondering about etching in screen. Thanks

No issues so far for me, but it is very dependant on the type of monitor you use.