Is it possible to add flow meters?

Hi Mikey,

I’ve put together a crude Taplist.io + Kegtron logical architecture diagram. It leverages the fact that: Taplist.io is supported on the Raspberry Pi 3; and the Raspberry Pi 3 has the BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) support needed to communicate with the Kegtron Wireless Keg Monitor. I’m not sure I’ve depicted the proposed Taplist.io API correctly. If it’s incorrect, please let me know and I’ll correct the diagram. Also, I’ve depicted the Kegtron routine as a stand-alone process. Conceivably, it could be integrated into the Taplist.io app. I’ll leave that decision to you and Steve.

I’m anxious to hear your current thinking regarding Taplist.io keg level support.

Joe

4 Likes

Please make this happen it would help me a million times over. And if it would help me, I can only imagine how any others it would help.

1 Like

I would also like a combination of Kegtron and Taplist. Please check if you can make it work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mikey has said he loves the idea, too!

I haven’t forgotten! :slight_smile: … Stay tuned.

2 Likes

Since the discussion is still going, It doesn’t need to be real time either which I think was mentioned above. If you could create a basic timer that counted down it would be perfect for me. For my home bar we will kill 1 of the 3 kegs I have on tap about every 6 months. So if a gauge was updated as a result of a basic timer I set it would work well. For example: 6 months is roughly 180 days so each day (or it could be another scale like week) the timer would decrease by roughly .5% and therefore the gauge would decrease by .5% total. I would love it if the 3d keg photos could drop their volume like digital pour does, but would settle for a “xx% remaining” column.

After further consideration, I think it would be an absolute travesty to base Taplist.io keg level support on anything other than an Amazon Fire TV stick. The existing Fire TV stick solution is simply too elegant. You don’t want to require users to muck with a Raspberry Pi in order to achieve keg level support.

I envision the cloud-based Taplist.io exposing a networked (e.g., RESTful) service of some sort. The keg monitor would simply invoke the service with the keg level.

With the new whiz-bang Taplist.io dashboard / framework, I’m hoping keg level support is just around the corner. I’d like to volunteer to beta test the keg level support. I’d love some insight into what the Taplist.io keg level interface will look like (e.g., auth token, venue identifier, keg identifier, keg level, …). The keg level could be a delta or an absolute value. The value could be expressed as a volume or a percentage. Personally, I think a percentage is the simplest solution. Taplist.io doesn’t need to know the keg size or start volume. With a network outage, the keg monitor doesn’t need to worry about a keg level delta being “lost”. With the keg level expressed as a percentage, Taplist.io will accurately reflect the keg level once network connectivity is restored (even if you poured half a dozen pints while the network was down).

Again, I’d appreciate the opportunity to participate in the Taplist.io keg level support discussions prior to the time the feature is released.

Joe

1 Like

I’ll toss my hat in to add that a public restful API would also allow POS integrations for folks who don’t want to add hardware complexity to their system at this time.

Agreed. I think it would be appropriate to re-title the topic “Keg Level API”. As has been discussed, the API would be agnostic to the specific method (e.g., flow sensor, differential pressure sensor, scale, POS, …) used to monitor / report the keg level.

Joe

I am interested into the Kegtron appliance to be added into our 7 tap configuration, and this would be a great benefit to our configuration.

1 Like

Hi @MooseIsLoose,

Steve (Keck) at Kegtron is on top of it! Mikey (Taplist.io) has said he’ll expose the keg level API in a few weeks,

I’m sure it’ll just be a matter of time until Steve integrates Kegtron with Taplist.io.

Please scroll up to the top of this topic and cast your vote for this feature.

Joe

Just added my vote for this much-anticipated feature.

This is actually what me and my buddy are waiting for to fit our keezers with kegtrons

1 Like

This would be a great feature!

Having the ability to see the fill state of kegs would be really great - it would make managing a steady supply of kegs in line with consumption much easier.

Two architectures have been proposed - one with the keg monitor talking directly to Taplist, and another with it talking to a Raspberry Pi, that is running the display for Taplist, and the pi in turn talking to Taplist.

There are likely to be multiple solutions for monitoring keg fill state, Kegtron, ordinary flow meters and the newly announced Plaato scale to name just three. Requiring the measurement device to have the intelligence to talk to Taplist directly seems a bit of overkill.

It would be much more efficient to have a number of relatively dumb meters talking to an intelligent box which forwards the info to Taplist. If this intelligent box could also act as the client for taplist.io, and perhaps even provide the temperature control for a keezer/kegerator then it would be brilliant.

This model could potentially also allow a mixing of different fill-state sensor technologies within a single system while still talking to taplist.

Architecturally it’s not so different, as long as there is nothing in the system that prevents the monitor app being on the same physical hardware as the taplist display rendering.

It won’t matter to Taplist.io if you have a bunch of intelligent keg monitors or a bunch of dumb keg monitors behind a single “intelligent box” (or some combination thereof). Taplist.io won’t be able to tell the difference.

The keg monitor doesn’t “talk” to the display-rendering physical hardware. The keg monitor talks to the Taplist.io cloud. The Taplist.io cloud, in turn, talks to the display-rendering physical hardware. The display-rendering physical hardware may or may not possess the keg monitoring “intelligence”. That’s up to you.

With respect to the PLAATO KMS (Keg Monitoring System),

I don’t own a PLAATO Airlock, however, I’m intimately familiar with the Blynk.io platform on which it’s based. Suffice it to say, the PLAATO Airlock is “intelligent”. The KMS is also based on Blynk.io. It would be trivial for PLAATO to directly integrate the KMS with Taplist.io. If PLAATO opts not to directly integrate with Taplist.io, you’ll have to integrate the KMS with Taplist.io through yet another intelligent box.

I’d encourage you to introduce PLAATO to Taplist.io (assuming that introduction hasn’t already happened).

1 Like

Hi there @wbn. Thanks for the good answer. We will indeed add a possibility to integrate the new PLAATO Keg to Taplist.io, and will with the nature of the open API do what we can to make cool integrations.

We hope that as many as possible with help us to get the product a reality by supporting us on Kickstarter tomorrow :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @paal - thanks for stopping by! Will be launching API soon and it would be very cool to get Plaato supported.

And good luck with the kickstarter! Having run my own a few years ago, I know how much work (and excitement) they can be. Pop me a DM if I can be of any help.

3 Likes

Thanks, @mikey! That sounds great. We would love to get it supported.
Ah, nice! That is not far from our thing.

I couldn’t figure out how to send a DM, so maybe you’ll send me one :smile:

2 Likes

I absolutely love this @paal ! I just put in my pledge for 4 of the Plaato Keg devices this morning and I’m an avid user of Taplist.io. I can not wait to see this integration.

Looks like it only took about an hour to become fully funded, so congratulations!