Amazon Fire HD 10 Tablet?

Hi all,

This is my first post here, so I apologize if this has already been covered elsewhere. I was wondering if it is possible to use an Amazon Fire HD 10 tablet with Taplist.io? Basically, I’m looking for a small (10-15 in.) and inexpensive ($50-75) tablet or monitor to use as a display for my 3 tap kegerator. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Check out this topic …

Maybe @siclifford can comment on whether he / she tried the Amazon Fire HD 10 in show mode.

Unfortunately not. Didn’t get a Fire in the end and abandoned my interest in Taplist due to the iOS limitations. Sorry!

No worries, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Taplist is not compatible with show mode. I just tried it. Show mode is actually quite limited, it mainly just works with alexa and amazon’s own apps. There is no other way I know to hide the status and navigation bars, but if you can live with them, it does work.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to try this, @cwant88 . I was under the (false) impression you could simply swipe down the top of the tablet’s Home screen, tap the Show Mode switch and enable Show Mode in conjunction with any app.

There should be 3rd party apps to lock the screen when on the taplist. either the native app or the web view. These apps usually have a secret gesture of tap code to bring up a menu to enter a password to disable it. This way you can admin the tablet and set it up and then have it be 100% unresponsive, or just disable app switching. Havn’t done it, but I know its possible.

The motivation wasn’t so much to lock the screen as it was to suppress the Status Bar and Navigation Bar along the top and bottom, respectively.

both should be possible, though you have to root the device to get rid of the status bar, that much I know from doing android development

You could build a frame around it to hide to bars. You’re probably going to need to mount it somewhere anyways, so…

If you jailbreak (not root) the device- which takes about 20 minutes- you can install the nova launcher and that has settings under “look and feel” – uncheck Show Notification bar. This will auto hide nav bar and status bar.

I just noticed that in settings, the max time you can set is 30 mins of inactivity before the screen shuts off. Hopefully the app disables that feature. I’m not sure I’ve run mine for 30 minutes yet as I’m just getting started. (6th gen 7" Fire that I don’t use for anything else anymore)

1 Like